Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Spontaneous Holiday Weekend in Yokohama



At times I grow frustrated and wonder why it seems life is never simple and never easy. A domino tumble of bad luck seemed to begin the second I stepped off beautiful Sado Island. Try as I might to resume my peaceful life in Fukui, stress stole my sleep away.   It seemed like at every turn frustration lay in wait, a tiger with a twitching tail just ready to pounce and puncture my little bubble of happiness.

I love my happy, quiet and at times crazy life in rural Japan, don’t get me wrong! Typically I’m one of those “annoyingly optimistic” types (to quote my friends), looking on the bright side of life every single day. However, sometimes, what I like to call “social cabin-fever” can take its toll on your sanity. I knew I needed a break, an escape from all of my life’s drama…

So I did what any sane person would do, I ran away from my problems for a weekend.

Now just hush those thoughts about this not being what a responsible adult would or should do and listen. Life is messy.  Sometimes a spontaneous holiday is EXACTLY what you need to remind yourself that everything’s going to be ok. So many people believe that traveling needs to be mapped out, every step of the day perfectly pre-planned and premeditated. I would argue the opposite. From my personal experience it’s been my unexpected adventures, the times I followed an insane impulse, that have resulted in the most enthralling experience.  I suspect this is because you wake up somewhere new where you have no plans for the day and when you open your eyes and lay there in bed wondering like a child would on Christmas what the world has in store for you that day? 

A feeling of infinity and limitless floods your senses, every moment seems so full of possibility…. and you realize that you can do anything you damn well please.  So you bound from that bed to seize the day, and think to yourself that today is YOUR day and this new city is your oyster! 

Yes, I hopped on a train with zero-to-no planning and disappeared on my own for a long weekend in Yokohama.  Yes, there were moments were I questioned my sanity.  Never, however, once I arrived in Yokohama did I regret that crazy compulsion. Yokohama was wonderful and I hope that this guide helps you enjoy the city as much as I did.


I have been fascinated with the history of the Meiji Era in Japan for a long time, the period when Japan opened its doors for the first time to the West.  Yokohama therefore drew me like a moth to a flame. The city from what I understood was seeped in history because it was one of the major port cities during that era and one of the cities most affected by Western influence.


TOP THINGS TO DO IN YOKOHAMA:

#1 - Tour the Hikawamaru

  • At a time when sailing was the only means of traveling abroad overseas the Hikawa Maru was a luxury passenger ship that crossed the Pacific Ocean.  During the course of its 30 years of service this ship crossed the Pacific 254 times and was used during World War II as a hospital ship.   Its history was fascinating and touring it helped me get a real feel for Yokohama as a city.  It’s well worth the time and the very reasonable admission price of 400 yen.

#2 - Explore and eat your way through Chinatown  

  • The Chinatown in Yokohama is the largest in Japan and one the largest in the world. This area is a veritable treasure chest of Chinese food if you’re a foodie like me.


#3 - Visit the Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse Area 

  • Putter around this historical shipping building that is today used as a cute shopping and dining complex

#4 - Relax in the Manyo Minato Mirai Onsen 

  • Pamper yourself in a beautiful and highly relaxing onsen that overlooks the Yokohama harbor. At night it’s simply magical because you can take a bath overlooking the glowing Yokohama Harbor.  There is even a little foot bath on the very top floor for everyone to use that overlooks the famous Yokohama ferris wheel.

#5 - Walk along the harbor and through Yamashita Park 

  • To get a true feel for the city of Yokohama this is an absolute must. So lace those walking shoes up and throw those sunglasses on and stroll away I guarantee you'll love it.

Dream Day Itinerary


  • Start by taking the train to Motomachi-Chukagai Station 
  • Explore Chinatown.  Be sure to try freshly fried up sheng jian bao dumplings which are all the rage in Yokohama’s Chinatown these days. The most famous store is Wanchuchin.
  • Be careful however, it's with good reason these little tasty wonders are responsible for more ruined shirts than any other food here! They are served pipping hot, and are filled with a succulent oily broth that is any shirt's worst nightmare.  Biting into the slightly tough crust results in an explosion of broth that, if you are lucky and very careful, will hit the bottom of your tray and not your clothes.  If you don't believe me just watch the videos playing outside the food stalls, talk about "Yokohama funniest home videos"!  
Freshly fried up sheng jian bao dumplings. Itadakimasu!
    Mooncakes

I would also recommend picking up souvenirs here, if like me you have Japanese coworkers. Manchuin is very highly regarded so that was where I bought mine.

My top recommendations for omiyage are:
1) mooncakes 
2) almond cookies

After exploring Chinatown wander up towards the foreign area of Yokohama and see the Harbor View Park, the Yokohama Foreign General Cemetery and enjoy looking at the various foreigner houses. Be sure to look out for the flags in the Harbour View Park that are a tribute to Studio Ghibli’s Movie “From Up On Poppy Hill” which was set in Yokohama.
  • From this hill, leisurely meander down towards the harbor and walk along the harbor.
  • Stop to tour the Hikawa Maru, a famous icon of the Yokohama harbor.
  • Continue walking west along the harbor.  Keep your eyes open for the famous statue of the little girl with the red shoes.
  • Soon you’ll come to the Osanbashi Pier, which is worth walking along.
  • At around this time you’ll start to feel a little puckish so why not make a beeline to the red brick warehouse where you can find delicious food and do a little shopping.
  • After that I went to the Yokohama World Porters shopping center for some delicious ice cream and to enjoy the Hawaiian shopping town.
  • Cap off your busy day with a visit to the Yokohama Minato Mirai Manyo Club. You’ll feet will be tired after a long day walking so go ahead an pamper yourself.  
    • I treated myself to the 50 minute Chinese-Amoistyle Oil Therapy (cost 5,980 yen), followed by spending an hour lounging in the open air bath overlooking the lit up Yokohama Harbor and finished off with a foot bath on the 8th floor. At night time the Yokohama ferris wheel is beautiful lit up so it’s very peaceful up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment